Now, an Award Winning Photographer, 29 Pixel Studios returns from an epic journey to Iceland where the focus was on travel photography!
Earning a living as a creative professional is challenging enough. Earning a living specializing in travel photography must be down right impossible! It is something I imagine nearly every photographer would love to do. For most, it’s a dream.
The difference between a dream and a goal is progression towards the idea!
The trip to Iceland was primarily to work on travel photography! No video gear was brought so 100% focus could be given to photography.
Iceland photography gear included-
- Two bodies: Canon 5Ds and Canon 5D Mark III
- Three lenses: Canon EF 11-24mm f/4L (this thing is WIDE folks! REALLY WIDE), Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L, and the Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II
- A BC Master 75 inch tripod was ordered for the trip for it’s portability and worked like a champ!
- Since we specialize in video and occasionally use a DSLR, we already had a Variable Neutral Density Filter to use on waterfalls.
- Lastly, to carry all this around, we only trust the amazing folks at ThinkTank Photo! The STREETWALKER ® HARDDRIVE held all the above PLUS extra batteries, chargers, and my 17+ inch laptop. It advertises smaller laptops I believe but mine fit snuggly 🙂 (If you use a battery grip, that will cut the laptop space down). For fun, we made this video showing the Streetwalker in action 🙂
Two recommendations for anyone going to Iceland are: Get a camper van!! Then, get this map!!
How to become an Award Winning Photographer?
Simple… ENTER CONTESTS! Something Nick has NEVER DONE!
Note from Nick, “After getting home I tried some metallic prints from Nation’s Photo Lab. They looked beautiful and arrived the same day my wife and I were leaving to go to southern Kansas for the Sumner County Fair. I thought, my mother-in-law might like to see these, so I brought them with. She urged me to enter them into the photography contest in the fair.
PURPLE ribbon! More importantly the professional photographer said, “These are exhibition quality photographs.” Wow! I’m on my way to becoming a travel photographer!”
Nick Schale: Award winning photographer
If you love landscape work, we will be selling prints! If you have a travel agency and need some Iceland photography, let us know by contacting us today!
The above piece is the Purple Ribbon winner at the Sumner County Fair!
Game of Thrones fans might recognize the above photographed location!
The next travel destination will be southern Germany in December. Plans are in motion to continue the journey towards becoming a professional travel photographer.